Become an Artist in Residence (AiR)
Announcing the 2016 Call to Artists for the Bailey Contemporary Arts Residency (A.i.R.) Program!
Application Deadline:Rolling admission
Availability:There is currently 1 studio available at $416.
See below for all info on the application policies and procedures.
The Artists in Residence program offers affordable private studios to local, national, and international artists. Artists in Residence become part of a dynamic community of artists participating in BaCA programming, allowing for exchange and collaborative relationships to develop within the artist community. Space is awarded to applicants that best demonstrate their capabilities and intent to provide a social benefit through their art to Pompano Beach and beyond, and have a proven track record of community engagement. A.i.R leases include private studios as well as access to flexible shared working space. Artists selected for this program range from emerging to established, and work in all artistic disciplines and media; including drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, new media, installation, and interdisciplinary expression.
Click here to download all application documents
(Application must include ALL items below**)
- BaCA Artists in Residence (A.i.R) Application Cover Sheet
- Curriculum vitae (CV) that provides an overview of experience and other qualification
- Letter of interest, outlining specific interest in working at BaCA and how participation will affect artist’s practice
- Three letters of recommendation, personal and/or professional that include names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses
- Documentation of recent work as described below. Up to 15 images accompanied by an image list with title, date, size, media, and, where applicable, conceptual intent
- $35 processing fee (You will be contacted after submission to arrange payment.)
- Mail or deliver application with all supporting material to: Bailey Contemporary Arts |41 NE 1st Street | Pompano Beach, FL 33060 Include the word APPLICATION on outside of envelope.
- Eleven 96-196 square foot studios
- Studio rents are currently charged at about $2.00 per square foot on an annual basis
- Rents are $205 up to $415 per month (depending on size of space), $250 damage deposit and $50 one-time fee for key code setup
- 24-hour access to the building
- Wi-Fi access
- Up to 2 years in residence at BaCA, subject to to review for renewal after 2 years
- Up to 12 A.i.R’s working on-site
- Teaching opportunities within BaCA programs for artists interested in teaching or gaining experience
- Support and investment in individuals whose work will impact the larger cultural landscape
- Artist advancement programming & coaching
- Experimentation and collaboration
- Integration into a dynamic community of local, national, international artists, and an expansive network of creative professionals
- Opportunities for engagement and cross-cultural exchange with local artists and audiences
- A yearly presentation at BaCA, usually in yearly A.i.R. Group Show or a solo exhibit
- Artists 18 years or older
- Merit of past work as determined by jury process
- Readiness to engage with, and benefit from the studio experience as outlined in BaCA program goals above
- Potential to develop creative practice and contribute to the BaCA community (collaborative and interdisciplinary projects are encouraged as a priority)
- Potential to take the ideas and resources developed in the BaCA program into their professional development
- Studios become available at different times, but we cannot predict when. Only after a current A.i.R. gives notice of departure will we publicize any availability
- Application review to ensure inclusion of all required materials and eligibility of artists
- Submissions are reviewed by a rotating jury of artists and arts professionals drawn from the South Florida art community and beyond, including gallerists, museum professionals, collectors, curators, and higher education professionals.
- Current A.i.R’s also provide input during the selection process. However, the ultimate decision selection process is provided by the jury.
- Applicants’ names are kept confidential
- Jury evaluates each artist's materials and selects finalists
- Selection will be completed within a 1-2month period after the deadline, depending on the number of submissions.
- Finalists attend a private scheduled interview and agree to a background check, if selected
**Artist collaborations should apply together by submitting ONE application per group, specifying the number of individuals on the application form. BaCA can accommodate no more than three total artists in a collaborative group.